Monday, August 4, 2008

Unexpected Meeting With Endometriosis

I was 31 then and trying to get pregnant. My pregnancy work-up program started with a reproductive system ultrasound. The sonologist was not happy when she handed me the result and told me that my ob-gyne will explain it. I was already concerned with the word "cyst" written in the diagnosis.
The result said that I have this condition called endometriosis, a so-called chocolate cyst in my right ovary causing my infertility. My ob-gyne did not gave any options other than surgery or removal of the cyst since I am in a hurry for conception. Also added that the surgery is not a guarantee for pregnancy. Those last words made me think twice, if the removal of the cyst is still not a guarantee then why would I go under the knife?

Yes, I had episodes of pelvic pain and abdominal cramps but it could just be dysmenorrhea like almost all women are experiencing every onset of menstruation. The news of having Endometriosis or Ovarian Cyst is simply too much to bare.

Chocolate cyst or endometrioma are cysts that form when endometrial tissue (the type that lines the inside of the uterus) invades an ovary. It is responsive to monthly hormonal changes, which causes the cyst to fill with blood. It’s called a “chocolate cyst” because the blood is a dark, reddish-brown color. Multiple endometriomas are found in the condition called "endometriosis". Although often asymptomatic, chocolate cysts can be painful.

Medical treatment for Endometriosis are mostly symptomatic treatment means treating the symptoms of the disease rather than the disease itself. This means giving pain relief medicines or drugs that would stop the fluctuations in the woman's own hormone levels in an effort to remove the stimulation for growth of the endometriosis. Although medical treatment is usually successful in alleviating symptoms, relapses may occur after treatment has stopped. Surgical treatment is then often appropriate and can include keyhole surgery (laparoscopic surgery) to remove or destroy endometriosis or open surgery to remove ovarian cysts. A hysterectomy may be suggested if the main symptoms are heavy and very painful periods and the woman's family is complete. Medical practitioner believes Endometriosis is a condition that cannot always be cured although the symptoms can usually be sufficiently relieved to allow the woman to pursue a normal life. Symptoms will go away only at the time of the menopause.

However in my quest for cure of my condition I have found out that there are actually available natural and alternative therapy for endometriosis. In fact many women have achieved partial or complete healing of Endometriosis using alternative treatments. Alternative treatments includes but not limited to Acupuncture, Herbalism, Homeopathy, Naturopathy and Aromatherapy. In my case I have opt for Naturopathy treatment.

Naturopathy believe that the body’s natural state is one of equilibrium, which can be disturbed by an unhealthy lifestyle. They look for underlying causes of a problem rather that treating symptoms alone, combining diet and non-invasive therapies where possible to stimulate the healing process.

Natural treatments is not a quick fix. Treatment will take longer, but it will be gentler, safer, and more effective for long-term results. Lastly, and most importantly- I got pregnant after two months of therapy!

No comments: