Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Aid #1

My worries reach heavens when my child is sick. I want to rush her to the pedia even if its a simple colds. They said this is not a wise decision and a waste of time and money especially if there's a first aid for it unless otherwise if our child is in great danger, healthcare provider should be there. Reading and talking it over with fellow moms really helps.

One unfortunate day my child had diarrhea. Diarrhea among children is a condition that should be taken seriously. This is because it can lead to dehydration or the loss of water and electrolytes from the child's body. And when the dehydration is not controlled, it may lead to more serious complications of the heart and kidneys.

It has been my practice and in fact to many mothers also- to give children plain water or rice water ("am") when they have diarrhea. But what many parents do not know is these cannot replenish the lost of electrolytes and therefore are not enough to fight dehydration.

I have discovered that the first aid for Diarrhea is Hydrite (Oral Rehydration Salts). It has been the right combination of water and electrolytes. It is also recommended by the World Health Organization go help prevent dehydration especially for Children.

Lets save our children from the dangers of dehydration. We Moms should have a stock of Hydrite in our medicine cabinet.

2 comments:

Mommy Liz said...

Is that Hydrite the powdered stuff that you dissolve with water? Goodluck on giving that to your son.
When we were there and my son got sick (diarrhea and throwing up) he didn't like that, so I had to buy that Pedialyte (P100/500ml)gosh, sobrang mahal..Dito naman, if it's emergency and the doctor's office is closed, $100 for emergency room, grrrr...
Siguro dapat pala, may supply ako ng Pedialyte for first aid. I am glad I read your post, I have 3 kids here that can be in danger of dehydration...
Thanks and take care...

MOMnificent said...

yes its powdered medicine to be dissolved in water. Oo dapat may supply tayo liza,Pedialyte for you just in case