Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blog Nation

In only a few short years, Blogging has become a vital part of many people around the world. According to a survey in US I read, here are some of the highlights:

80% of Americans know what a blog is, 50% regularly visit blogs, and 8% publish their own blog. The survey also revealed that more women than men are bloggers, with 20% of American women who have visited blogs having their own versus 14 % of men.

When asked about the types of information they get from blogs, 65% said they get opinions, while 39% get news and 38% get entertainment. About one in three people read gossip on blog websites while only 2% use blogs to cach upon news about family and friends.

Loyalty to specific blogs is also fairly strong with 46% of blog readers saying that they visit the same blogs regularly versus 54% who instead usually surf for new and different ones.

Awareness blogs strongly correlates to age, with younger people being much more active. Nearly 90% of those aged 25 to 34 know what a blog is, compared to just 65% of those aged 65 and over. Similarly, 78% of those aged 18 to 24 who are aware of blogs say they have visited a blog, compared to only 45% of older Americans.

As blogs have gained in popularity, so has the frequency with which they’re read. Though the majority of blog readers (39%) view them less than once a month, another 28% visit them monthly, 15% visit them daily and 5% read them several times a day.

Political and journalistic (or pseudo journalistic) blogs have been in the spotlight recently, but study found that 37% of bloggers cite "My Life and Experiences" as what they blog about, while only 11% cited public issues as typical topics.

Also, 60% of bloggers are white, while remaining are of different races, according to the data

And 55% of bloggers write under a pseudonym, thats a key difference between bloggers and most journalists.

1 comment:

Mommy Liz said...

Lots of statictical numbers ha, hehehe...Where did you get this survey thingy? You fond of researching about stuff huh..I have been reading my cousins blog since 2006 yata, but I only created my own last April, my cousin from UK kind of encouraged me. I think, it's cool, I can express my thoughts, I can share my joy and sadness.