I was connected before in a Paging company and we were taught of proper call handling like what to say and not to say on Professional Telephoning, characteristics of a good speaking voice, etc.. I'm sharing here some phrases recommended to use.
1. In the comfort room... "IN A CLOSED DOOR MEETING"
2. Being scolded by the Boss " IN A MEETING"
3. Out of the Building.... " OUT ON AN APPOINTMENT"
4. Asleep.... " IN A CLOSED DOOR MEETING"
5. Was fired..... " IS NO LONGER CONNECTED WITH THE COMPANY"
6. Wait for a while/hold on... " ONE MOMENT PLS."
7. Come Again...... " WOULD YOU MIND SAYING THAT AGAIN, SIR/MA'AM
or "PARDON ME SIR/MA'AM"
8. Who is this? ....... " MAY I ASK WHO IS CALLING PLEASE?"
DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE "HELLO" AS A GREETING OVER THE PHONE IN THE OFFICE?
" Hello" is only used at home. When answering the phone, always use your standard spiel. When placing a call, start with a greeting (eg. Good Morning/afternoon/evening) and state your name, the person you are calling and your purpose.
Eg. "Good morning. This is Mr. Lim, I wish to speak with Mr. Ranches regarding my orders."